Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I heart Bill Cosby


Sometimes I forget what real comedy is. In the age of comedy central it's easy to hear "comedian" and think Carlos Mencia, Dane Cook, Larry the Cable Guy. Dark times indeed. People may, in the deepest part of their lost memories, recall what comedy might have been. But we don't actually remember. Not until we dust off those old albums of the great and the forgotten.

Bill Cosby's "Himself" is a work of genius. Without the cheap tactics of yelling, shocking, offending and being ridiculously profane, Bill manages to make me laugh harder than I thought still possible. And what does he talk about? Family, dentists and stupid people. The holy trinity of classic comedy.

I can't understand why the man has never run for high public office. He would no doubt be a democrat and I would still be first in line to give him my vote. Reasonable people are so few and far between.

1 comment:

Caleb A said...

Man, I haven't watched that show (the Myself stand-up gig) for years. It's a classic.