Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The death of Captain Marvel


Of his movie anyway. According to the script's author/developer John August, Shazam! has gasped it's last breath. Read the blog about it; illuminating in it's assessment of the Hollywood process.

The saddest news to me (besides a writer loosing his baby) is that it seemed to be farther along in it's development than I was aware. In a world where Daredevil and Catwoman both got made, my heart aches for the interesting comics to see their day in the sun.

Not that anyone asked, but I would love to see a few comics get the treatment.


Fables would be so damn cool I don't understand why it hasn't happened. The Big Bad Wolf in human skin is a chain smoking private detective who teams up with Snow White (who is the town's major) to find her younger sister's murderer.


Batgirl had her own series a few years ago. A friend lent them to me and I burned through them as fast as my chubby fingers could turn the pages. Raised by her assassin father, never taught a verbal language, the most dangerous woman on the planet. Really, really good.


Fray was a continuation of Buffy in the distant future. New girl, new enemies, same mission. I really dug this book. Plus it was written by Joss Whedon. You could almost just lift the dialogue and write the action lines.

Not necessarily my all time favorite comics. They just lend themselves to the screen.

1 comment:

Caleb A said...

Daredevil himself is a good comic character. Sadly, the PG-13 cut of that movie completely sucked, but the R-rated cut is almost okay. I think there was a good idea there, things just didn't work out. Catwoman on the other hand, never ever should have happened.

I read the writer's blog and that really sucks for him. I can kind of understand the studios concerns though. Shazam isn't super-popular. They'd have to get a lot of name recognition going for it to be profitable.